Tuesday, January 26, 2016

Week 3: Reading Diary: Paradise

Story from Adam and Eve
Story: Paradise By:Louis Ginzberg
What drew my attention to this story was its meaning. To get to Paradise you had to go through different portals. In this story it told of the first three portals that lead to the gates of heaven. At each portal you only made it through if you were worthy enough. If not you would be sent away or say consumed by a fire sword. Parts to this story unit where more of a challenge for me to read. It was all pretty new to me, considering I have no religious background. I am not used to reading in the way some of these stories were wrote. For example the words they used such as; nor, hath, ye, doth, and others. I still enjoyed learning about the religious side of mythology. At the end of this story it told about how Adam was sent to earth by God and shall stay there and live by his ways following the six commandments. The following commandments are: "man should not worship idols; nor blaspheme God; nor commit murder, nor incest, nor theft and robbery; and all generations have the duty of instituting measures of law and order." Due to these readings not being what I am familiar or used to reading it caused me to really tune in and focus. So far from the first half of the readings, I have come to the conclusion that Adam was a man of perfection and highly committed as well as wise. The story also talked about how there was a massive tree that was feed by four great streams. The streams were Ganges, Nile, Tigris and Euphrates. I am not sure how I feel about all these religious stories but just talking about the story its self and how its told it sounds very creative. I like how it told about the tree of life it was said the trunk in diameter would take someone five years to walk around it. Exaggerations can make a story very entertaining. My favorite part about these readings is that they all followed one another.
(The Ash Yggdrasil: mythical tree)




No comments:

Post a Comment