Thursday, January 14, 2016

Introduction: Ashlie's Actions

You are what you do not what you say, for every action you take you represent yourself. Hi, my name is Ashlie Hopkins and I want every action I take to have a meaning. I am a big believer in taking action and showing the world where your place is in it. One of my favorite quotes is, " The only thing keeping you from achieving your goals is the bull crap you keep telling yourself." -Jordan Belfort The world is huge and filled with so many experiences and opportunities. Don't let anything or anyone stop you from going after what you want. One of my main goals in life is to travel the world and learn as much as I can.

Home: 
"Returning home is the most difficult part of long-distance hiking; you have grown outside the puzzle and your pieces no longer fit." -Cindy Ross
I was born in Utah where my parents meet. On the day I was born I almost died. I was born on Friday the 13th in January. The umbilical cord was wrapped around my neck, as you can concur I lived! The 13th has now become my lucky number. A few years after I was born my parents blessed me with two younger sisters, they are twins. Then we moved to Driggs Idaho, the place I call home. I grew up here and graduated high school. This is where my journey begins.
(Personal Photo- Teton Valley) 

College: 
"Somewhere between the bottom of the climb and the summit is the answer to the mystery why we climb." -Greg Child

I wasn't sure where I wanted to go to college, but I knew I wanted to go! I wanted to travel to see the other states. I ended up getting a soccer scholarship to play at a community college in Coffeyville Kansas. I played the sport I love for a year and a half then graduated with my associates degree in science. My next journey was to attend Penn State. I transferred to The University of Pennsylvania in State College, Pennsylvania. I fell in love being back in the mountains and the snow. Unfortunately, I did not fall in love with the cost. I only stayed a semester the transferred to The University of Oklahoma. I am studding Sociology and plan on going into environmental law after.

(Photo taken by: Kathy Corbin (soccer mom)- Ashlie doing flip throw)
Passion: 
"Happiness is when what you think, what you say, and what you do are in harmony." -Gandhi

(Personal Photo taken of Ski Lake, Wyoming 2015) 
(By, Layton Hewlett, Sleeping Indian) 
If its outdoors I'm in! I grew in a small town surrounded by the mountains. As soon as I could walk I  was out exploring what the world had to offer. I was very outgoing and active and still am today. Eventually I want to travel around the world, the first adventure on my list is to backpack Europe. I want to learn how different people live around the world. How they live, cook, learn, teach and why. I also want to see the world. I am in love with nature and its beauty. Every since I started college, I still go back to my home town to work during summer. I work in Jackson Hole Wyoming, home of the Teton mountains and Grant Teton National Park (GTNP). On any day I have off that's where you will find me. I love going on hikes, camping, hunting, spending the day on the lake, or picking huckleberries.
(By Corina Helm, GTNP 2015) 









When I travel to every new pace; may it be a new mountain, a new home, a new street, or a new state, it is always a journey. The things I see and the people I meet all make me who I am today. There is so much out there to learn and explore. 








(Cj and I, selfie) 
(Bailey and I, selfie)
Along with being an adventurer I find myself staying very busy. In other words I don't like to sit still. If I am not in the great outdoors I am most likely working, cooking and baking, being crafty, or spending time with my sisters. I also like to think of myself as an amateur photographer. I have taken a few college classes in photography. I really enjoy taking pictures. I also enjoy cooking every meal I have. Then when I run out of work and homework I find myself baking. I also enjoy eating very healthy and fresh food. My family has always butchered our own meat such as beef, pork (from 4-H growing up) as well as deer, elk, antelope, fish and grouse that we hunted. I prefer to cook everything from scratch, adding a healthy twist to it. I like to make my own granola bars and healthy cookies. I always test out my new recipes when I get to go home and see my sisters. My sisters are my heart. I would do anything and everything for them. Yes they are twins but they are completely opposite. Their names are Bailey and Cj. Bailey is the girl of us three, always has to look good. Cj is the one with the tough appearance. You will never see here without a hat or the camo on.  My sisters are what hold me together when the rest of my life is falling apart.


The basics: 
My favorite color is purple
I am a Capricorn 
My spirit animal is a wolf 
I am Cherokee, Irish and English
I do not like chocolate 
I love sports 
Coffee is my favorite thing to drink 
I could live off of cashews and mangoes 
Winter is my favorite season 
I will own a pure bread husky one day 
I am very impatient 
Country music is my number one 
Netflix: Prison Break, Arrow, One Tree Hill 
Beanies!


(By: DollFace Photo
Thanks for taking the time to get to know me, have a great day!











13 comments:

  1. Wow, Ashlie, I am so glad to meet another fan of words of wisdom in this class! I am a huge fan of proverbs and all kinds of words of wisdom, and I love to make quote posters and motivational posters to go with quotes that I like. Maybe you will want to do that too; you'll see in the extra credit Tech Tips that you can make quote posters every week if you want. Quote posters are so much fun to share at a blog too! For example, you could use that GORGEOUS picture of Ski Lake with some inspiring words; a site like Canva is great for working with panorama style images like that. Anyway, I hope that this class will be a great adventure for you in the world of storytelling (including wolves of course!) and the virtual space of the Internet. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow what a great story! Your story is a lot more entertaining and interesting than mine. I have grown up in Norman all my life and now I am here at OU obviously and have been for the past four years. It is definitely home for me and I couldn't imagine living anywhere else. I absolutely love traveling, especially to the mountains. One of the places that is on my bucket list is Lake Tahoe, so hopefully I will get to go there sooner rather than later. I was never really an outdoorsy person until I started dating my girlfriend who LOVES the mountains and hiking and water rafting and all that fun stuff so she has somewhat changed me into an outdoorsy person and I find being outdoors to be really refreshing and relaxing. Look forward to getting to know you more throughout the semester!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like you have quite the adventurous life! I also really want to travel the world some day and love cooking. Other than that our lives sound pretty different! I am the youngest, not the oldest; I have never been hunting, only fishing; I grew up in Dallas with no mountains around; and I LOVE chocolate. It is pretty funny that with all of these differences we both ended up at OU as psychology majors. I get the feeling that we would get along really well and I look forward to getting to know you throughout the semester.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ashlie, I loved reading your introduction. You sound like such a fun and adventurous person! My friends and I also want to backpack through Europe. It is one of our goals when we all graduate college and graduate school! From your intro you seem like you are pretty fearless when it comes to traveling, and going new places, and I really admire that! I love to travel as well, but I also am somewhat of a homebody. I like knowing that after I am done traveling I get to go home to my family. I hope to hear more about your travels throughout this semester!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your incorporation of quotes within each section of your introduction. I love quotes because I think they can be a good representation of our feelings and also can be very motivating. You seem very self-aware!
    I think it's great you want to travel and explore the world; a backpacking trip to Europe sounds awesome!
    Good luck with your semester!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's so cool that you love nature and traveling so much, and that it's such a strong goal in your life to maintain that! I was also in 4-H growing up! But I don't live on a farm so I mostly stuck to the public speaking and consumer/horticulture judging events. It's also awesome that you've gotten to experience life at 3 different colleges. I know a lot of people who have gone to 2, but you've really experienced a lot!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Ashlie my name is Maisy. I really enjoyed your quotes. I liked all the pictures you had. I am also a really big fan of travel. I haven’t traveled much, even within the US but it is my big goal in life. I cannot accept the fact that you don’t like chocolate though. I have to admit it blows my mind when people say they don’t like chocolate (though to be honest you’re only the third person whose ever said that).

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi, my name is Carmen.
    I really enjoyed the layout of your introduction, and the way you sorted it into different parts. It let me get to know all about many aspects of you.
    I love to travel as well, and it looks like you've gotten to see some really gorgeous places. I especially liked the lake, but then again I really like nature.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi :) I like that you have quotes leading to each section, that was cool. Wow, your birthday is on Friday the 13th. That's actually really cool. I almost gasped out loud when I read "I do not like chocolate" but then also almost giggled out loud at "I will own a pure bred husky one day" because I want that too. Nice to meet you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Ashlie, that is so cool that you love being outdoorsy! I lived in North Carolina for a year while I was growing up, and I hiked almost every day. That is so cool that you love cooking and baking your own meals from scratch...that is something to truly admire! I look forward to reading some of your work for this class!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hey Ashlie, your intro made me feel as though I actually got to know a little bit about you. It seems as though you have a good head on your shoulders and that you have some big things coming your way in the future. After reading your introduction, the name of your blog is completely perfect. My favorite color is purple as well, and I LOVE Arrow! I love action packed shows. Well thanks for sharing with us!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hello! I loved reading about your life and interests. I think it is great you want to keep traveling and I hope you get every opportunity to do so! I also played soccer so it is neat we have that in common. I am actually from a small town in Northern OK not that far from Colleyville so it is neat that you went there! Kudos to you for being a healthy cook. I am a terrible cook so I live off of hot pockets and ramen! I hope you have a great semester!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hey Ashlie! Great introduction. It was really interesting to read about how you got your lucky number as 13. I think it is great that you love to play soccer so much and were able to get a scholarship. Sounds like you moved around quite a bit and got to experience a few things. Glad you ultimately ended up at Oklahoma. Boomer!

    ReplyDelete