Sunday, February 28, 2016

Week 7: Reading Diary: The Dragon-King

I have chosen to highlight the story of The Dragon-King as well as The Dragon-Queen.

Before I read this story I expected a much different outcome. Usually, when I think of Dragons I think of intense, strong, magnificent beats. Yet in this story, they aren't much of any of those. At least, it's not described. I had made a guess that the Dragon-King would be one to fight the great Sun Wu Kung. Instead there was no fighting at all.

Sun Wu Kung was on a mission to find a weapon that would suit him. So he traveled to the Dragon-King.  The first weapons presented to Sun Wu Kung he was unpleased with or said they were to light. Even though these weapons weighed thousands of pounds. At the end of this story, the Dragon-King is left frightened by Sun Wu Kung. The story continues with the Dragon-Queen.  The Dragon-Queen had come out and mentioned that the iron bar was lying in their sea. It was also glowing which meant it was ready to be taken. The Dragon-King was arguing this. He mentioned that it was the rod the Great Yu used to order the waters and determine the depth of the sea. The King thought it couldn't be taken away. Then the Queen convinced the King to let Sun Wu Kung see it.

This is where that story became exciting and more interesting to read. When Sun Wu Kung first approached the rod it was far too heavy and large to move. He simply wished it was shorter and thinner. Then the rod became shorter and thinner! The rod would adjust size and weight with his commands. It was magical. This was a weapon than would suit Sun Wu Kung.

Dragon-King By: Combpank on Deviant Art

I found this story interesting to read because I couldn't guess what was going to happen. It always kept me hooked with the next action. I was also fascinated by such a weapon. The things you could accomplish with such a weapons are unlimited. After reading these two stories I kept asking myself how is he able to control this rod? Will someone try to take it from him? I think a good story is one that always has you asking questions. It keeps the reader excited and interested in the story. It is also more interesting when you guess wrong. The reader is then caught by surprise and interest in what will happen instead.

No comments:

Post a Comment