Thursday, February 11, 2016

Growth Mindset: Open your mind with a new perspective



CCC
For this weeks growth mindset challenge I choose to do a memo on, open your mind with a new perspective. Once I read this title I knew I wanted to do this challenge. A few years back I used to be pretty closed minded compared to how I am now. I tried to stay away from things I did't know and people who seemed different that I was.

Perspective Quote


Then I grew up and learned a whole lot. I learned that stepping into new things is a great way to learn. It is also a great way to meet new people and get to know yourself. I have been on a few interesting journey in the past few years that have open my mind in way I never could have imagined.

_________________________________________________________________________________

per·spec·tive
pərˈspektiv/
noun
  1. 1
    the art of drawing solid objects on a two-dimensional surface so as to give the right impression of their height, width, depth, and position in relation to each other when viewed from a particular point.
    "a perspective drawing"


_________________________________________________________________________________

In this challenge there is an article, Three Cognitive Biases. The article talks about the three biases and a solution to each one.

 1. Confirmation Bias:
This is the bias that your thought, memories and beliefs are intangible. You tend to reinforce rather than challenge these beliefs. "It is the tendency to search for interpret information in a way that confirms with one's existing beliefs or preconceptions. " (Further Article) 
Solution- Open your mind. Take time to think about the other side of the story, you do not necessarily have to accept it though. Just attempt to understand. 

2. Conservatism Bias
This is "evidence that the Earth is round instead of flat" conservatism bias is "often discussed in the realm of investing, where even professionals react too slowly yo new information." (Further Article) 
Solution- Act quickly to adapt in the face of a new contrary indication. Or, take time to verify but make sure you make a move. 

3. Conformity Bias
Conformity bias is "the tendency to behave similarly to the others in a group, even if doing so goes against your own judgment.: (Further Article) 
Solution- Have courage to act accordingly to your own conditions. 

What bias are you?

As of now I am a very open minded person. I will ask anyone and everyone involved their side of the story before I make any judgments or assumption. I want to make sure everyone had a fair chance. I will also try my best to take the time and understand why someone took action the way they did. I ask myself is there something I may not know? I am also integer by people that are different then me. I find it very interesting to learn why they are that way. With each new experience I go though and each new person I meet I always try to take something with me. Weather it be a new life lesson, a new way to cook, or a different way sometime thinks. It's all a part of what makes me who I am.

"We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them." 
-Albert Einstein

1 comment:

  1. This was a great post! I try to be open minded as well. Sometimes I won't realize how closed-minded I am until I hear myself say something. Then I think about how else I could have phrased my thoughts, or why I even thought them in the first place. Usually if I'm being mean it's coming from another feeling entirely, like jealousy. Your post really made me think; thank you!

    ReplyDelete