Monday, February 8, 2016

Week 4: Reading Diary, Continued: Siddhartha the Hermit

For the second half of my reading I was drawn to the story Siddhartha the Hermit.

In the begging of this story Siddhartha set out on his horse till he reach the woods of the hermits. In the short story this was it is very clear of the relationship between Siddhartha and Chandaka, a dear friend.  There was a paragraph I really like.

"Chandaka: Truly, a horse has strength and swiftness of a God. And you, dear friend, by bearing me company, have proved to me how great is your affection and your courage. It was a noble deed and pleases me. Those who, like yourself, can combine energy and devotion are indeed rare. You have shown that you are my friend, and you expect no reward from me! Yet it is usually a selfish interest that brings men together. I assure you, you have made me very happy. Take the horse now and return to the city. I have found the forest I was seeking."

Becoming a Hermit

These two had a very close and dear friendship. They knew they were able to understand one another. Even though the choice of Siddhartha was not one Chandaka wanted to see happen, he knew it was what his friend wanted. This kind of relationship is hard to find now a days. The respect, loyalty and trust between two.

This is also where Siddhartha began his journey to truly become a Buddha, he knew he had to start as a hermit. Siddhartha also says, "Tell him that I possess neither virtue nor merit, for a man without virtue is never loved, and he who is never loved is never mourned." This was Siddhartha's last words to his friend before he took back towards the kingdom.

Story Source: This story is part of the Buddha unit. Siddhartha the Hermit by Andre Ferdinand Herold (1922).


No comments:

Post a Comment