Wednesday, February 10, 2016

Week 4: Storytelling: Birth of Siddhartha

The Birth of Sidd 

In year past there once a world filled with evil, demons, and witches. This was a time of dark ages. In a kingdom call Gautama lived a king and queen, their castle was greater and taller that anyone had ever seen. The castle tower reached so high in the sky that the clouds consumed it. In these dark times though it was always covered by the mass of black clouds. The castle was also broken off from the rest of the land, the ground around it had cracked and fallen to the sea. Now for the tail that brought these dark times.
Island castle covered by the Dark


There once was a time when dark did not consume the land of Gautama. It was a time of joy, happiness, and light. It was a bright and beautiful kingdom and people came from far and wide to visit the king and queen in their castle. The land of Gautama was friendly to all.

Late one afternoon in the land of Gautama the King was hunting by the forest, looking for a deer. The king had stumbled upon a fine buck. He drew back his bow and an arrow flew with strength and speed, piercing the heart of the deer. Please with his kill he started to approach the deer, when he was mysteriously interrupted.

The king saw a shadow rising from the back of the forest. As it got closer and the king took a better look he couldn't believe what he saw. A witch! The king had only heard stories that they existed. How could this be?

With a scratch of a chuckle the witch slowly walked up to the king. The king asked the witch, "What is your business? This is my land, you do not belong here."  The witch then replied, "Oh yet you think my king, yet for this was first my land. You see I was banished and became weak. I had to take shelter and gain back strength. Now I am back and plan on taking back what was truly mine."

In shock the king was terrified. With courage he grabbed for an arrow and fired at the witch. The witch simple rebutted with a flick of her wand and the arrow flew right past her. The king knew he had to get back to his queen. He ran back to his castle.

He ran through the kingdom village shouting to the people. He told everyone to go home and lock the doors. He doubled the guards at every entrance of the kingdom.

King at battle


The king was not planning on giving his land to this witch. He told his wife that he was going out to battle. She tried everything she could to get him to stay because she had just found out she was going to have a baby. She knew her king would not sit and watch his kingdom fall so she decided not to tell him the news yet. He prepared for battle and set out with all his men.

They arrived to the edge of the forest. The ground started to shake and the sky began to roar. Black clouds filled the sky and the earth began to shake. The witch then appears from the edge of the forest.

"You don't stand a chance my king, for I have risen the demos of the ground and have the power of magic on my side. From this day on only the birth of one who can see pure truth and light can defeat me.  I have cast a spell on this land to insure no births. Now I will defeat you."
All that is Evil and Dark


From the depths of the forest the witch flew out with an army of demons.

The king and he are were in a tremendous battle. The king could see they were out numbered with no magic. In the darkness of the battle the king knelt down and prayed to the gods.

" Forgive me for I am not as strong as my enemy but please for the sake of my people and this kingdom help us."

A small light from above shown down on the king and he found strength from within. He jumped into the battle field slaying all that came his way. The witch noticed the king now had help from the gods. The witch began to worry, she knew the king and his armies could now win in battle.

The dark witch started to send the earth to the depths of the sea. The king ordered them to retreat back to the castle for protection. The king and most of his armies made it back to the castle, yet the witch was right behind them.

The witch flew up to the king "You may have won this battle with the help from the Gods but I shall still win back my land for you will now be stuck in your castle with no where to go."

The king was devastated. He cried to his queen with a broken heart. "Please do not be sad my king for I have good news. While you were at battle the Gods came to me. They told me that the baby I will soon bear will be able to save this kingdom. For she will be able to see the truth and light in the world. She will be a hero and restore this kingdom."

The King had faith again and everyone in the castle vowed their lives to this unborn child. Above all the dark clouds the top of the castle tower would glow when the queen and her unborn child were there. Her name will be Sidd.



Author's Note: I bases this story on the readings from the story, Birth of Siddhartha. In this story a kings wife, Mara knew her son was to be born soon. She had been sent dreams for the gods and felt the warmth her son brought. The day her son was to be born the king ordered for the whole kingdom to be lavished with extravagant beauty, such as flowers and jewels. This was also no ordinary son, he was said to be a Buddha. Once Siddhartha was born joy spread throughout the world. "Bells peeled gaily, peacocks spread their tail-feathers, and sounds of swans throbbed int he air. Flowers blossomed, fruit on trees, light in the sky, strength was given to the weak, poor became of wealth, and the wicked was cleaned of evil." (Birth of Siddhartha quote)  This baby was said to be the one to see the truth.

In my story I told it as a bedtime story, keeping the version of a king and queen to have a baby. I wanted to change up the beginning of the story. Making it dark from the witch. Then same at the original story the baby would being joy, light and happiness to the world. I also changed they boy to a girl baby in my story.

The name of the kingdom, Gautama is know as a Buddha name. Or also known as Siddhartha Gautama the founding of Buddha teaching. This is how I came up with the name of the kingdom.

Bibliography: Story is part of the Buddha Unit. Story source: Birth of Siddhartha, by Andre Ferdinand Herold (1922).

2 comments:

  1. I'm currently rewatching the Harry Potter movies, so this story was right up my alley! I'm all about evil characters who have to regain their strength in order to fight and babies that will save the world! This story was a really creative way to retell the story of the Buddha being born. I feel like it would have been much more exciting if things had actually gone down this way!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don’t know how you found the castle picture but I love it! All of the pictures are fantastic. I also like the spacing of your story. I know that’s random but I feel like most stories are hard to read but yours is actually easy to read. I also enjoyed the story. It was very interesting, I haven’t read Siddhartha but I really enjoyed the story.

    ReplyDelete