Wednesday, March 2, 2016

Week 7: Reading Diary Continued: The Miraculous Mirror

Highlighted story The Miraculous Mirror by E.W. Champney and F. Champney (1917)

I choose to highlight this story because while reading it I felt a sense of urgency and excitement. I also took note that there were some great words used to describe things. Such as; rapturous, inner weft, firmament, auspicious, boisterous, and bountiful. I think the writer did a great job of using these words. It really adds to the detail of the story. I have learned that a few of the right strong words are better than a lot of little words. You can tell a great story with only a few words.

This is something I would like to work on. I am still struggling with the maximum length when writing my stories. I think that if I chose better words for descriptions it can help. One of my new goals is to create shorter stories. I want to be able to write a short story but still have great detail and a powerful message to it.

I also enjoyed that even though this story was just about a mirror there was a lot going on. I noticed that the mirror was never really mentioned until the very end of the story. Also, the Mirror is in the story title, it is the title. I like that the title doesn't really give anything away. The title lays at the very end of the story. I used to have a lot of trouble coming up with a title. I used to never come up with a title till the very end of the story. In a way, this helped me come up with a better title. Recently though I have been looking at pictures and basing my story from that. Just the same as with basing my story from my weekly readings. Now, I come up with a title and base the rest of my story from the title.

Miraculous Mirror: Wikipedia

No comments:

Post a Comment