Monday, March 28, 2016

Week 10 Reading Diary:

When reading the story of The Legend of the Peace Pipes, I found myself asking many questions! For myself as a reader, this is a good thing. What would the fun in reading a story be if you always knew the mystery?

The story of the Peace Pipes would never be one I would guess. I was wrong with every guess I made but one. When the different eagles started flying above the cleared circle. I had made a guess that we would land upright, pointed out of the ground. Surely enough, one had, from the eagle with the fantail. That part was a bit unexpected. I though it would have been the bald eagle.
Wikipedia: Peace Pipe Circle
In the end, it also tells of how that eagle and feathers from the owl and woodpecker are used to make the piece pipes. The peace pipes were then used to form relations with other tribes.

I had many other questions when reading the story. One was why did only the owl and woodpecker call out to the Indians? In the story, it says the owl called out to offer then his aid. What aid did he bring, though? I still wonder this.

Overall my favorite part of the story is how the animals helped find the right sapling and bark. Mainly the eagles that flew from above and dropped their feathers in the middle of the circle clearing.



Story Source: The Legend of the Peace Pipes. Unit Great Plains. By Katharine Berry Judson. 

No comments:

Post a Comment